Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

AUTOMATE / LOOP line drawn from endpoint of previous line segment to closest point

Hi friends,

I've set up a definition that manually draws a line from and endpoint of a previous line segment to the next closest point within a random 3D point cloud. (four rounds at this point)

a. how would I feed this into a loop? is is it possible since my definition is culling the indices of the previous endpoints? tried using anemone but couldn't figure it out

b. can I cleanly extract all the curves after rounds of looping?

thanks! 

Views: 3191

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent > just gear up the 3rd C# (V1A) > gazillions of swarm rats > Apocalypse Now

Hi Peter: .....nice addon!

These projections are similar to Thomas Luft's Ivy generator.

http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/

What GH components am I missing to display the 2d image.?

Well ... I'm not aware of any component that can orient a bitmap ... although there's ways to get some sort of mesh out of it ... or ... as Plan B try the points way as exposed in the attached def (but that approach is a bit paranoid and maybe utterly useless for this case).

BTW: What's wrong with the rat instance definitions? (plans for providing some sardines as well are postponed since I know your dislike for these things).

Attachments:

BTW:

https://www.archvision.com/

This is the classic way to get the illusion of 3d things (an RPC cell is in fact a vast collection of static bitmaps and some sort of intelligence that displays the right bitmap that "faces" the camera).

In the very old days I did some tests for Bentley Systems on that matter. See the attached animated 3D PDF where the "face" me capability is OFF (in order to investigate other things > we had "some" issues on that matter back then).

NOTE: an RPC is only exposed to the rendering engine (don't ask why) and ... well ... at that time Ray Bentley (the equivalent of David R in Viz matters) was investigating the adoption of the notorious Modo Nexus Engine (the best, bar none) for post Athens(LOL) Microstation builds > THAT "transaction" was a bit tricky I confess.

But all these things happened a million years ago.

Attachments:

BTW: That said Tom's swarm thingy is very good: elevates the very important traveling rat (that sells nothing) puzzle to new highs,

Moral: Ratmageddon

What about starting the mother or all threads? (Ultra Freaky, Geeky And Pointless Stuff: Part1) related with various deep space matters that answer to questions that nobody bothers to ask? (computers are made that way, you know).

Moral: Sardinarmageddon 

And since this poor thread is clearly bastardized (a "bit") and since Tom ignited that swarm thingy get an ultra freaky thing:

PSO: Particle Swarm Optimization.

Big questions:

• What it does? (who knows?)
  • Who's Nadine/Lucille? (ditto)
  • What is the usage of it? (ditto)
  • Why is made? (ditto)
  • Can I win the big challenge and some Da Morgada sardine cans? (ditto)
Attachments:

Excellent.

My last offer: one careful owner [the Lord Himself], full service history, extras, garaged, alternative ECU maps, minor cosmetic issues > once in a lifetime opportunity >  just sign.

in case one wets oneself riding that thing.

It looks like it also contains a hidden toilet.

I'm slowly coming up to speed with an interesting side issue which was never part of this thread, till Peter introduced his rats to us.

1. rendering rats, or whatever, using block instances is very fast, using any exterior rendering engine!
2. rendering a pipe, NOT using instances creates, 18,500 closed meshes, .....that takes a lot, lot longer to render.

Question: Is there a GH component that will can make a Block instance out of a Mesh component, without getting into C++ coding Peter is using here?

Image below: Rats > Left & Pipe > Rightcheers!

My dear Watson (this rat image is stunning > do some hi-res more > rat Art is the future):

• C++ is not C#
  • The C# provided (+ the small informative one: what sort of rats are available? are they friendly? etc etc) is only for placing the rats.
  • Is very easy to create any rat as instance definition from some geometry but there's no native component that does this. Same applies for sardines. 
  • On the other hand in real life we use heavily nested instances (very easy via the Dark Side) for a vast variety of reasons and especially IF the goal is to talk to some pro CAD/MCAD stuff (this is called Assembly/Component design schema). For instance using AECOSim for a proper rat tower or a rat theater. In fact any design not using assemblies is considered as made by Homo Neanderthalensis.
  • Assume that a given rat carries some armor (acc to rat-right to carry guns): each bullet being a "clone" of the very same thingy is an instance definition. A void (with regard geometry) bullet assembly can "hold" the bullets in some cartridge whilst the cartridge itself may consist from a nested collection of geometries represented as instance definitions. Etc etc. In general (but not always) if a parent contains any child it's named Assembly. An Assembly can be void but not a child (component). 
  • So if you remake the rat with all that WITHOUT a structured approach and you attempt to place 10K rats (with 100K bullets) you'll discover a rather unpleasant surprise.
  • Needless to say that all the above are valid only for rats (and/or sardines) .

BTW: Of course there's a rat-bike available (designed by The Lord, no less) if you want to proceed to the next level of insanity.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service