Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

In rhino, I am trying to select several sets of multiple surfaces.  I want to put each set of surfaces on a different branch of the tree.  I am having difficulty figuring out how to do this.  I am sure this is a very simple but I have been unable to find a way to do it easily.  Any help someone could offer would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Stan

Views: 2667

Replies to This Discussion

The only way I have found to do this is to use flatten and assign the branch to each group.  Since I will have many branches, this is a  huge effort.  Is there an easier way?
How are they grouped? Are they consecutive, equally spaced, same amount?

Thank you Danny for helping.  They start out graduated, then switch to equally spaced, then switch to oddly spaced.

There are 2 in the first group, 3 in the 2nd group, 4 in the 4th, 5 in the fifth group, 6 in the sixth group through the 31st group, 4 in the 32nd group, 2 in the 33rd group.

Side note to David... Since data matching is such a key aspect as definitions become more sophisticated it seems like there should be a much, more comprehensive and intuitive methods to manipulate tree structures.  

The only advantage to this definition is that you don't have to have so many manual steps, but it is still manually configured. I was trying to come up with a better way but I'll have to revisit in the morning.

Attachments:

Wow!!! Danny, your definition is quite sophisticated... Thank you so much...way beyond my simple minded approach.  I will use your method. Still manual but at least it is less wiring.

Thanks for taking a stab at it.  Your definition echoes the sentiment that GH's greatest challenge is tree structure manipulation.  It seems like I spend 90% of my time in GH just trying to get the right list items to pair up especially after I have used a component from the 'intersect' menu.  It rarely seems to be straight forward.  

Most of the time tree manipulation is like trying to direct a blind guy, 1000 miles away, to thread a needle via skype and a slow internet connection.  You can finally get it done but you sure want for a better way.

I love GH like non other but there has got to be a better way.  

Stan

Have you seen my recent foray into Path Mapper examples?

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/topics/path-mapper-help-1

Hi Stan,

Here's a version where you control it with 5 integer sliders designating the quantity of items on the first branch followed by the last unique quantity i.e. 5 before it starts to repeat the 6. Then the Branch where the 6 stops and then some remaining integers to control the last few branches. It doesn't look pretty but it creates the sequence needed.

Attachments:

Danny,

On my!!! Clearly, data matching is second nature for you.  It will take me a little time to work through this approach, but on initial examination it appears to have a really flexible interface that allows for easy manipulation of the final list...Brilliant!!!! I am impressed.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this. 

Sincerely,

Stan

Here is a version that performs as hoped.

Attachments:

Hi Stan,

Nicely done. Is there a better way of selecting the srfs in the first place? It seems that maybe you should look at a sorting routine in GH that would get you srfs in the order to apply this structure to. Can you upload the 3DM or send it to me dannyboyesiom at gmail com? I'd very much like to see the what this is all evolving around.

Hey Danny,

Thanks for your interest. This is actually a portion of a larger definition that would probably confuse this thread so I will just email it directly.

Its a little complicated but since you asked...Here goes.

The problem I am having is I am using Brep to select a portion of an array of many surfaces.  As soon as I use the Brep inclusion selection process, GH seems to re-name the branches of the surfaces there by confusing the data matching alignment with another list I am planning to interact with further down the way. I was trying to fix this algorithmically but since the branch naming was so challenging I thought I would just bake the surfaces and pick them manually so I could grab them in the order I wanted.  That is when I decided to pursue the approach that you so kindly assisted me with.  I regret that it is a less elegant approach, but until the tree structure manipulation tools in GH progresses (or I become more skilled with the existing tools) it seemed like an acceptable work around.

Your suggestion to find a better way to select the surface is spot on.  I plan on pursuing that avenue immediately. Friend me and I will happily send the bigger definition and the 3dm.  thanks again for your help on this.

Stan

That is a great breakdown of the tools for manipulating tree structures.  I am sure many have benefited from you clear explanations.  I know I did.  The last example was particularly enlightening.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service