Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

This script is aim to take in a BRep polysurface solid for generating a laser cutting file.
It can handle hollow forms, cantilevering masses and can generally take more complex geometry then the usual section plane-section curve algorithm. This is because of an operation which determines the middle point for notch/slot to happen, instead of the usual fixed height notching.

• Ideal script to generate massing models for complex geometries.
  • It uses a global coordinate grid to determine cutting plates location, which allows two adjoining form to be baked separately while cutting plates matching across the two form.
  • Best used in mm scale.

This is not a simple script, not intend for general purpose.
The script still relies on solid Boolean operations, thus limited to what Rhino 'can Boolean'.

I'll add more description about the script later when I have more time.
I attached a form testing file, which you can play with some forms that I've sketched.

This is my first post, suggestions and comments appreciated.
Inspired by David Fano's Parametric Truss script.

waffle_20101228.ghx, 1.6 MB is the latest script (hope it works on GH0.8)

Views: 125994

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure, that sound like a Rhino bug. The section planes should appear if preview is turned on. Even with any other error that happen. 

Make sure you are using GH v.0.8.0004

Try draw a box in Rhino and reference it to test. Test the script with something very simple at first might resolve the problem.

I had the same problem, you have to get the other definition victor posted a little later for grasshopper 0.8 and get your sections planes/material thickness right. 

Thanks a bunch victor your a life saver. Ive been working with t-splines, making some organic floorplanes/facades. For the construction i was thinking to do a waffle shaped construction, but i wasnt able to adjust a waffle script from digitial toolbox for multiple/complex Breps. So im happy ive found yours because: T-splines -> water tight polysurface, and thats exactly what your definition wants to be feeded :)

Hi Arie-Willem,

Glad that you find it helpful,

I've updated the post, so that waffle_20101228.ghx is in the attachment list.

Cheers

VL

I have GH version 8.0007 and I cant get it to work so should I download a previous version of GH?

P.S. this script look AMAZING so increadibly useful! Just got to find a way to use it haha

I haven't check with 8.0007, perhaps if you try use the 0.8.0004 and see if that works for you.

I'll upgrade the script when I have time.

I guess you have made a little mistake, the script you included in you attachment is not the script I wrote. It is from LIFT architects, and you may want to ask Andrew Payne for support.

Cheers

I have used my script to create something similar for you, see if it is helpful.

Attachments:

Victor,

Thanks for the definition, it works way nice. I have CNC cut a few simple solids now.

I liked what Nich Tyrer did with his waffle def (great stuff) so, its a spin off his work, as I'm just in the learning stage. I have attached a pic showing what I'm wanting to do and a couple of screen shots.

how can construction planes are rotated, I have tried to add this to your definition but,

I fail :(.

can this be done on your def ? I have scripts that seem to work but, when added to your def fails. any help ideas would be great.

I'll add pics of projects when I feel they are worthy.

Thanks, Wade

Attachments:

Hi Wade, 

I believe it is not possible to rotate planes like a fan shape in my script. I wrote it such that the script is able to handle under-cuts for solids that has a complex section. (Imagine a Brep that, if you cut it with one plane, will give more than one closed curve, even curve within curve)

The way it detect these cuts now uses the world Z axis.

In fact, if you dont have to handle such complex geometry, you can write a simple script with rotated planes, and section command.

Hi Victor, it looks you are familiar with waffle systems. Can you please help me out with radial waffle systems? 

Victor, well done, this looks like a very useful and handy script again, well done, I have no problems loading the script though there is issue in the preview, I am running version 8.0010 while I can bake out certain geometry I don't get the preview, for instance and most simply, when I select an initial brep no preview is displayed, let me know what you think and again, well done, it looks like a great job

m

Just got the latest version, works great, great job! thanks a lot, I'll let you know what I do with it

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service