Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

This script is aim to take in a BRep polysurface solid for generating a laser cutting file.
It can handle hollow forms, cantilevering masses and can generally take more complex geometry then the usual section plane-section curve algorithm. This is because of an operation which determines the middle point for notch/slot to happen, instead of the usual fixed height notching.

• Ideal script to generate massing models for complex geometries.
  • It uses a global coordinate grid to determine cutting plates location, which allows two adjoining form to be baked separately while cutting plates matching across the two form.
  • Best used in mm scale.

This is not a simple script, not intend for general purpose.
The script still relies on solid Boolean operations, thus limited to what Rhino 'can Boolean'.

I'll add more description about the script later when I have more time.
I attached a form testing file, which you can play with some forms that I've sketched.

This is my first post, suggestions and comments appreciated.
Inspired by David Fano's Parametric Truss script.

waffle_20101228.ghx, 1.6 MB is the latest script (hope it works on GH0.8)

Views: 125992

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

mark! i think its helpful.
Looks like a very detailed definition. However I can't seem to download the ghx attachment. When I click on the icon I'm just transferred to a new page with the file in the scripting lang. format. Tried from several comp.s and same thing. Am I missing something?
Oh, I think you just need to right click and download the file. By the way it is a pretty old definition, I'm not sure whether it will work inn the current build GH.

You should try it out and see, otherwise I can update it when I have time.
Super work, but there does seem to be a problem with the latest version of Grasshopper and this code.

Thank you Jason,

Yea, I wrote it long time ago, I can fix it if you need it on GH0.8

Victor,

I love this script, but like Jason, I found it broke in GHO.8. I sure would appreciate any help in getting working with the latest version of GH.

Best Regards,

Mark

Hi all,

I fixed the script for my GH 0.8.0003, hope could benefit someone.

In case you want to look at the script without downloading it. (I actually find this Ning photo upload pretty amazing)

VL

Attachments:

Dude,
This is great, thanx.

I was able to build the object . But the had major problems to order the slice with the letter tag.
Thanks again.

Homer G

I'm a bit lazy to improve on the tags, because even with the tags in 3D, I still have to assemble the object with the help of 3D model. But the tags are helpful in sorting out the sequence of assembly.

BTW, Homer, can you post some photos of the object you made.

Note: I think by highlighting the tags in 3D, this may help assembly.

Thanks man !! Great DEF !! Really. Nice job.

Is they a download for this script with the tags displayed on the 3D model? Cutting a complicated model and this would help a lot

Hi Jason, I think there is a tag somewhere.... Don't exactly remembers.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service