algorithmic modeling for Rhino
Time: July 1, 2013 at 8:30am to July 2, 2013 at 5:30pm
Location: Tongji University, CAUP College of Architecture and Urban Planning, Building D
Street: 1239 Siping Road
Website or Map: http://cf2013.tongji-caup.org…
Phone: +49 177 3407785
Event Type: classroom, course, workshop
Organized By: CAAD Futures 2013 Conference, Shanghai; Workshop by Peter Mehrtens
Latest Activity: Sep 29, 2015
Introduction to expanding out-of-the-box parametric cad applications to project-specific toolsets.
What participants can expect to learn in this workshop?
This workshop targets architects, engineers and designers who want to algorithmically process geometric entities by means of own methods or functions. It is an introductory workshop on the borderline where the architecture-engineering-construction-branch meets the basics of programming.
Participants will learn concepts of object oriented programming and essential syntax of C# to endeavour into personally extending parametric toolsets. The workshop will focus on introducing the .NET language C# and the Software Development Kit (SDK) RhinoCommon to the participants.
Throughout the workshop we will switch between step-by-step explained code samples, compact summaries of underlying concepts and simple but effective geometry generation and manipulation tasks. By the end of the workshop participants will have learnt the essentials to write, debug and compile Custom Components for Grasshopper utilizing both own code as well as available libraries.
- use of Script Component within Grasshopper
- explanation to the .NET Framework
- introduction to RhinoCommon SDK
- fundamentals of imperative / object-oriented programming (OOP)
- data types, operators, properties
- variables, arrays, lists, enumerations
- objects, classes
- control structures: conditional statements (if, else, switch)
- control structures: loops (for, foreach, while, do)
- walk-through iterative und recursive code-samples
- use of RhinoCommon Geometry class library: creation, sorting, editing of Geometry (Points, Vectors, Curves, Surfaces)
- adding (baking) geometry to the active Rhino 3DM Document, including attributes (Name, Layer, Colors etc...)
- introduction to the IDE (Integrated Development Environment) MS Visual Studio Express Edition
- compiling code to dll/gha files (plug-ins) / making your own Grasshopper custom components
Requirements for participants
Participants bring their own laptop with Rhino 5.0 32-bit edition (commercial, student or trial version), Grasshopper3d latest build - currently 0.9.0056 (free), and Microsoft Visual C# 2010 Express or Version 2012 (free) pre-installed on an Operating System with .NET Framework 4.0.
Link to conference homepage:
Link to workshops at conference:
The price is 1000¥ for full course (both days)?
© 2023 Created by Scott Davidson. Powered by
RSVP for Scripting Custom Components for Grasshopper3d in C# .NET on RhinoCommon to add comments!