generative modeling for Rhino
Hello I have recently came across the "Entry Paradise Pavilion" in Germany and was wondering whether someone could point me in good direction on how to model it using grasshopper? I would like to be able to move centerpoints of the nodes as well as their thickness and length.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Ah right, perfect. thank you!!!
(hm there doesn't seem to be reply link under you last post...)
Has anyone been able to get the Streched Fabic Code to work with either the latest release of Every Thing... Rhino V4 (SR9) or V5 (16th March) GH 8.07 ??
In V5 I get the error noted in this tread when i open the GH file about a Corupt Chunk... and in both rhino v4 and V5 a final relaxed mesh that does not look like the one pictured using the same files. But no idea why.
Ok Fixed the Bug. It seems UTO Latest Mesh Edit Tools has a new vertices output that GH was automatically plugging in instead of A thus giving you a random set of points and not the edge points.
I have figured out a way to cleanly break up the pieces for fabrication. There is a program called Unfold3D Magic used by video game artists that flattens .obj objects for imaging in photoshop to then be applied as materials on the objects. This can easily cut the object and flatten the pieces. I have attached the program below and an image of the results.
Here is another program to fabricate with a folding paper methodology. http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/
Impressive work Andrew!
I am trying to use this program to unfold and I managed to get the pieces like what you showed above. I am wondering how you exported the 2d geometry to CAD software(Rhino/AutoCad) in order to fabricate the pieces? I m having trouble with getting the 2d geometry back to Rhino-it keeps opening as a 3d object.
Thanks in advance.
So im trying to use the unfold 3d magic software can you please walk me through the steps you went through to flatten your piece. -Thanks
I was able to unfold and sew together the pieces. its streched under a typical IKEA end table. I built a base and a top for it to hide wiring for lights at the base of each foot. The fabric is like a spandex fabric, this was my second attempt. For the first attempt I over estimated the amount the fabric could stretch and shrunk the cut pieces in rhino by 10%, thinking this would give a good tight fit, but it was too small. Even at 100% scale with stretchy fabric the footings had a little trouble reaching their footholds in the base and top. So print the fabric cut outs on a normal printer at 1:1 scale, cut out, place on fabric and cut from the fabric. label each edge and which side faces out because it can get very confusing while sewing. Sew inside out and flip it back the correct way to hide the seams. This used about 1 m2 of fabric. I would suggest finding stretchable thread as well. I used normal thread and in the seams some kinks formed because it wasnt stretching correctly from the limitation of the thread.
I also attempted building the form as a solid as well, through layering. On each layer I placed two holes each piece for dowels to slide in so they would stack correctly on top of each other and for additional support. I then layered plaster on top of the object, sanded and painted ... will add a finished photo soon. the plaster will crack as it drys, but when you sand it the sanded plaster powder fills into the cracks, which you can then take a wet clothe and rub the wet plaster into the cracks, giving a smooth final finish. The final product is 50cm tall, can support a 55x55x1cm piece of glass as the table top, fairly heavy.
Truly amazing work Andrew! Looks really nice!