algorithmic modeling for Rhino
This video illustrates an algorithm for simulating drainage on a surface. The script is written in Python and run in the Grasshopper 3D modeling environment.
In this animation the terrain shifts, and one can see how the drainage paths generated from a series of fixed sources shift to find the slopes and valleys in the terrain.
For each source point, the algorithm:
1. finds the downward sloping direction
2. moves in that direction a designated distance
3. finds the closest point on the surface
4. if this new point is not higher or too close, then
5. it repeats from the new point.