Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi everyone,

I've been cracking my head for a while trying to figure out a way to draw a grid of voronoi panels over a façade, a bit like Marinus van Hall posted here:

But where the density varies throughout the different parts of each panel according to a diagram I've drawn based on the amount of sun each part of the façade gets throughout the day:

Ideally I'd be able to vary the panel size as well as point density. I've tried a few different approaches, including this one, one that feature a world map and also another one that featured a projector (can't find it anymore), but I can't get from there to the panels. Besides, two of them used grasshopper add-ons. Seems like there'd be a simpler way to do this, but I'm having difficulty grasping the whole image to point density to panels workflow.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Views: 5622

Replies to This Discussion

The definition is slow because it's lofting polylines, creating breps with many faces. I did this so that it looks faceted like the attached image (the polylines should have even more points to look the same), but it's possible they used photoshop.

So everyone, going back to the non-surreal topics :)

I think I've gotten a pretty good handle on the variables of the original idea. Thanks!

But I've been elaborating on them and I think I've hit another bump on the road. I've evolved the original idea into something that remotely resembles this childish doodle:

That is, 3 different rows of panels with fixed heights but random widths. Each panel will be perforated in voronoi patterns that vary according to my original sun intensity diagram, but I'm thinking they'll have a fixed frame width and a small gap between them, kinda like this other childish doodle:

I've mastered the method of turning my original diagram into a voronoi panel that's denser where the sun hits harder thanks to Vicente's method. But it gives the voronoi frames a width by scaling each cell by .9, but that doesn't yield frames with constant width... which is fine for my 3D, but I wanna use the files to draw diagrams for laser cutting and actual building of the panels, so I guess I can't be too precise there.

Again thanks for all the useful (and funny) input! :)

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service