Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Course discussion on Grasshopper, computational fabrication, and related topics. Contributions from Grasshopper community at large are welcome.

Views: 960

Replies to This Discussion

All - I've tagged all Pratt-related content on Designalyze here: http://designalyze.com/tags/pratt - not a bad place to get started if you're looking to brush up on your Gh skills (and there's some Maya stuff, too)

FYI for those of you interested in getting into Dynamo I'll be giving a webinar on the subject next month https://attendee.gototraining.com/r/7971972041285182978

Hi everyone,

I am stuck in my script. I created a grid with a voronoi, meaning a spiral cell. I arrayed it to create a regular grid and now I am trying to figure out different ways to change it. The first one is working: the radius of the voronoi but the second one is causing me problems. I am trying the make the height of the cell change, so each point from the first spiral arrayed curve is related to an helix and can change in height - cell height in the  file).

I hope this is clear... I attach the file so you can take a look at it.

Thanks!

Agathe

Attachments:

Hi Agathe,

I'm not able to understand exactly what you're trying to move - the cells from the initial voronoi, or the cells of the grid.

I've attached a file where the voronoi planes move up in a helical manner - not sure exactly what the vertical profile curve is doing - I made two versions, one where the planes follow the curve, one where they move straight up.

Hope this helps.

Attachments:

Thanks Christopher.

Agathe - I'm attaching some images and files showing how to control the translation of individual Voronoi cells and individual Voronoi grids simultaneously.

Because of the way the linear array component works, the Voronoi cells had become Grasshopper branches instead of list items, so I used the Path Mapper to reassign them as list items. This allowed me to move them incrementally using a Range component, and to vary the range from Voronoi grid to grid using the Remap Numbers component.

Attachments:

Thanks Chris! New TA right here! This is helpful in the way that I couldn't even move what I had, but I think I want to move the center point of the cells of the initial voronoi to make them bump more or less. I'll figure this out. Thank you!! I'll come soon with new questions :)

Agathe - would you mind posting your "bump" solution from class (a nice image and the gh definition)? Nice work!

Hi Brian,

Here is a screenshot of the definition and the bumpy grid. I unfortunately forgot to save it or deleted something so I have a messy to finished version of my grid here (the google drive one - Cell3_FINAL in my folder)... I have a folder in the render farm at Pratt with the saved file I think. The folder name is Ag>GRID>Cell3_FINAL.gh and the Rhino file 2.3dm. 

I can't make it today as I am working, sorry about that, but I will come see the exhibition tonight.

Thanks!

Attachments:

Hi Brian,

Here is the correct file for the bumps and a screenshot of it.

I have an other problem now, which is the control of the openings. I want to be able to control the openings between the different cells. This parameter is controlled by the radius of the cells of the Voronoi. I am confused in the way that I have to relate the script for aperture control to the orginial voronoi and also to the final grid to be able to change it. But it keeps messing up the bumps and not changing the openings...

Attachments:

Hi Agathe,

I don't see any annotation in the Grasshopper file to explain to me where/what your exact problem is. Could you please point out where you are trying to add apertures? Even a sketch of the desired geometry would be useful.

If you're just looking to add one aperture per cell, you could replace the points you're using to control bump height with scaled cell outlines and then loft the result instead of patching - we were only using patching because we needed to combine curves and points to produce the bumps.

Hi Brian,

just wanted to make sure I am understanding it right, so for the material study, we glue-laminate a sheet of birch plywood to either plastic or rubber, correct? Because I remember you saying that our materials will only be around 1 inch thick. The reason I am a bit confused is on the syllabus it says first glue together two sheets of plywood then to rubber or plastic.

thanks

Hey Tim - The reference to multiple sheets of plywood is likely an artifact of last semester's syllabus - although I've mentioned in class that additional plywood layers are not out of the question if the additional machine time can be justified by your design intent.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service