Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi everyone,

I am running into the problem of offsetting a continuous surface. I need it watertight for 3d print.

Seems that the normals at the connection edge are oriented differently, hence my impossibility of offsetting smoothly. I have tried also to offset same distance both sides of the surface with no success.

I am trying WeaverBird to do same operation, see attached . No solution yet, any hints?

Much appreciated!

Views: 3552

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

And this is one of the areas where ants realize that ... well ... you get the gist of the issue I do hope.

Of course (and until I rewrite that @##$ thing) you can recreate the mess (the Topology, that is) if you are familiar with TSplines (use Bridge as well). If you are not it's worth exploiting the next(?) step in subdivision modeling (if AutoDesk has any interest on that matter - my secret sources tell me that ... blah, blah).

Kinda:

If TSplines was mimicking the Kings of all CAD matters (Siemens/NX, CATIA - what else?) as regards intelligent auxiliary coordinate systems (on the fly definitions) ... I could do it in 2 minutes. As it is it's utterly frustrating (because the edit mode is 10000% academic). 

Anyway I never give-up (but I was that close in this case: WHAT TSpline people had in mind when developing that thing? WHAT exactly? Was it such a big deal a long distance call to Israel? (brain behind CATIA) or to UGS? (NX)).

Here's your stuff the manual way (in an ideal TSpline world: 2 minutes work + a proper double espresso + a proper cigar).

PS: For the other M things of yours (until the "new" V3) > don't call me > my nerves are in a delicate state right now, he he.

take care, best, TheBrokenNervesPeter

Attachments:

There is some weirdness in some places but this was closer and it prints.

Peter, will your model work with "windows" in each mesh face?

Attachments:

Hi Martyn, 

Yes this is working much better! Thank you for sharing. The best that I got so far with the exoskeleton :) Yes, it will print

great, post a photo of the print if u get chance.

Sorry for the late reply!

Yes I will , it will take a while until I print it since it is part of a large project.

Thank you again

Hi Chipa,

Is this a school project? I saw that you are from London and I'm considering taking a Master there (UCL or AA) and I asking everyone i run into.

Nice work btw

Thanks. No, sorry, no it is a personal project.

will your model work with "windows" in each mesh face?

yes (that's very easy: the only thing that you have to do is to trim the "module" with a new interval):

... but the whole approach is under a total consideration in order to improve  speed (at it is is utterly pathetic - rather unworkable in real-life).

Here's a test using a classic "one face" (so to speak) Mobius band (one C# does the band and the other does the "impossible" offset/thicken).

more soon

Hi all,

This is a detail of what I got after printing the moebius like geometry, after applying exoskeleton. ( See image)

Now I need to do a printed version which is a solid shell (no subdivisions)

Peter Fotiadis examples looks that could work, I tried the first version that was posted but I can only see the normals/faces drawn but I can't get a solid shape of the geometry. Do you know what I am missing?

Thanks for your help!

Is this screenshot of a manual offset, and manual fix up?

I have tried in the past remodeling, bridging in rhino, 3dsmax, etc. I did not find it simple to shuffle points around. Yes I got T splines plugin for rhino, didn't do much 4 me in this case

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service