Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi

I upgraded to gh v. 08.0066 from 0.6.0012 (yes i've been without using gh for a while). The new version seems to be highly unstable, when I run gh it crashes rhino a few seconds after opening a gh file, sometimes even before opening anything in gh.

using:

windows XP

rhino 4 SR8

I tried everything, reinstall gh, reinstall rh, always the same result.

I went back to the gh old version and works fine, but I can't open newer files.

When I upgraded to 0.8.0066 the first time i forgot to install first latest microsoft runtimes, I recieved an error (don't remember if during install or trying to run gh), and then I remembered about the MS runtimes stuff, so I installed ms runtimes. Afterwards gh seemed to run, but with the problem of rhino crashing everytime.

Any idea?

my thoughts:

Could it be a problem with MS runtimes installation?

Maybe something of the first problematic installation of v. 0.8.0066 remains? no matter how deep I try to clean previous installations, some things like recent files still there. How can I remove it completely

thanks for your time.

Views: 1294

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Czeca,

what does the crash look like? Is there a Crash Report? If yes, did you send it in?

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

Rhino suddenly disappears and crash report pops up. I sent a crash report once, rest of the crashes I cancelled it.

I reinstalled ms runtimes, it seemed to work for a couple of days, then crashes appeared again. I tried to go back to gh 0.8.0050 but it's the same

I'm having some trouble finding the specific crash report. Next time the crash report window appears, don't close the window. Don't press [Send Error Report] or [Don't Send]. Instead, go to your desktop and see if there's a text file there called RhinoDotNetCrash.txt. If there is, post the file here (the file will be deleted once the Crash window disappears).

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

nope. just RhinoCrashDump.3dm and RhinoCrashDump.dmp don't know if they are useful.

I'm going crazy. now crashes happen less often, but seem random to me...at least now I can work between crash and crash.

If there's no RhinoDotNetCrash.txt it means the crash is happening outside Grasshopper, somewhere deep in the core of Rhino. It's sort of disturbing that it only happens while using Grasshopper.

Would it be possible for you to test this on Rhino5 Beta? Not that I'll be able to help you further, but if crashes happen with Rhino5 at least the Rhino developers will be interested in fixing it.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

Finally I got a rhinodotnetcrash.txt WOOOOOWWW

For what i've found in google it seems to have somethingo to do with MS .net framework

i`ll try to upgrade .net fw and see what happens.

Thanks for your help

Attachments:

The crash report claims it cannot find a .NET framework core file. Do you know which .NET frameworks you have installed on your machine? In order to run Grasshopper on Rhino4, you need .NET 3.5. In order to run Grasshopper on Rhino5, you needs .NET 4.0 or newer, but Rhino5 ensures this is the case, Rhino4 does not.

This seems to be the download link for .NET 3.5: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

I installed .net framework 3.5 and I've been 2 days without crashes...I think we solve it.

so easy to fix, but so difficult to guess it!!

thanks so much

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service