Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Inconsistency in "Evaluate Surface" component (GH 0.9.0069) ?

Dear GH developers,

It seems that the "Evaluate Surface" component in GH has an error or conflict with Rhino regarding the direction of the Normal of a surface.

I attached here a simple Rhino 5.0 model containing 6 surfaces (patches).  

The function of the attached GH-script is to generate Normal lines at the centroids of the input surfaces from Rhino. The input surfaces have all the same direction, here "upwards" according to the "Dir" command in Rhino.

As a "normal" user, I was expecting that the generated Normal lines in GH have the same orientation/direction as their corresponding input surfaces. However, NOT all generated normals are equally oriented as their input surface. WHY ?

I got out that the U- and V-directions of the input surface play a role here, but from a "normal" user -perhaps naive- viewpoint, I was expecting coincident results between Rhino and GH.

Can I expect a modification in the "Evaluate Surface" component or shall I look for another solution?

Views: 691

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Often the surfaces are reparameterized when evaluating them.. not sure if i'm correct but it works in this case.

Rutger, thanks for looking at the problem.  I tried reparameterizing the surface at the two components as you showed, but I got the same (wrong) result of mixed normal directions.  I even tried reparameterizing at the very beginning at reading the input surfaces, but also got the same result. I am using GH 0.9.0069. How did you get it right?

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service