Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi everyone,

What is Grasshopper?

A quite simple Question, but very difficult to answer. I tried to define it, but whatever I came up with, did not reflect the real power and greatness of this fabulous tool.

So today I opened a grasshopper 3d article at wikipedia with a minimal definition

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grasshopper_3d

and would like to invite you all to help define this peace of software.

-Cheers

Karl

Views: 1807

Replies to This Discussion

Here is a reference for Grasshopper that may help up on Wikipedia:

Grasshopper is used to apply parameters to 3d models to ensure accuracy of a design.

Source: ,  Gensler (August 2009), "BIM analysis for Form and Façade". A+U Architecture and Urbanism, "Architectural Transformations via BIM",  2009 (8) Special Issue, Pg. 98

What about the original AEC article of grasshopper or the recent interview with David in the Italian magazine?

Can you find them and source them?

Any sources would be helpful.

There is an interview with David Rutten on page 28 of the Italian MixExperience community's online magazine, tools numero 1, where David explains the development process and thinking behind Grasshopper.

Extract:

Intervista a David Rutten genio creativo, inventore e sviluppatore di grasshopper, il programma generativo che sta creando nuovi linguaggi estetici e funzionali nel design e nell'architettura. Arturo Tedeschi

Italian to English translation

Interview with David Rutten creative genius, inventor and developer of the Grasshopper, the generative program that is creating new aesthetic andfunctional design and architecture. Arturo Tedeschi

Quote: 

Popular among students and professionals, McNeel Associate’s Rhino modelling tool is endemic in the architectural design world. The new Grasshopper environment provides an intuitive way to explore designs without having to learn to script, writes Martyn Day.

Printed Version: AEC MAGAZINE May/June 2009 vol. 42

Online Version: http://aecmag.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id...

I wanted to add the School of Architecture at University of Virginia (explodebreps.wordpress.com)where I teach and also Univ. of Texas at Austin, Harvard, California College of the Arts.  While I know with certainty these schools, I have anecdotal knowledge of many school experimenting with GH. Our research office (drippsphinneystudio.com) shows some small projects designed with Gh and will be presenting urban analysis and design proposals using GH for a neighborhood in Baltimore to the city planning commission, interested public groups, and the local AIA in March.  

Hi!!!...

My name is Danny, I’m a young Colombian architect.

I’m currently developing a research project about parametric urbanism.

In Latin America, especially in Colombia, there aren’t any architect or architecture studios that develop parametric architecture or urbanism, so I'm researching this topic to incorporate parametricism into the city development areas and the urbanism in Colombian and Latin American cities.

As a new topic developed in European schools of architecture, although there is no physical literature about the parametric urbanism, their processes, their origin, their methodology, and the software. So my objective is write you for help on these topic, if you know books, literature, ebooks, papers, websites, tutorials, library resources, web resources, someone expert or anything else that might help me in my research project, that would be very helpful in with my research project and I will be very grateful.

I apologize for take a few minutes of your time, but I hope you can give me a hand!!!... Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Danny Andrés Osorio Gaviria.
Architect.
National University of Colombia. 

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service