Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Export to Digital Project, CATIA, Tekla and other BIM

Hi, Are there any Digital Project/CATIA users interested in generating models in Grasshopper and then exporting them into other modelling programs such as DP?  

This is available right now for skeletal (or steel frame) structural models using neutral BIM format SDNF.  I've put a blog post with the files involved in the above image at http://www.geometrygym.blogspot.com 

Shortly to follow will be other structrural items such as slabs and walls using the IFC(2x3) BIM specification, and then if there's interest I'd be happy to look at other industry formats. 

I'm happy to help anyone out with getting started.

Cheers,

Jon

Views: 5234

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with all you've said, and the closest I've ever come to using Digital Project is having seen screen shots so I would not be surprised if I made naive or incorrect statements/presumptions about that particular software. But I have done a lot of structure modelling from conception to fabrication (analysis and documentation). There are means and ways of specifying relationships (assemblies, buildings etc) even within Grasshopper (that's an important aspect of the development I'm doing) and I agree it's important to accommodate user requirements for naming conventions etc. I did not mean to imply that simply assigning a guid should provide an adequate means of data exchange.

I do believe that a file format such as IFC should be very close to adequately cover a comprehensive structure, and I'm very interested in learning about the aspects of modelling in DP that are not adequately addressed in this file specification.

A common trait that I've seen in the projects and tasks I've worked on is that it's not always obvious from the outset as to what the exact tool or work flow you need until you are in developed stages of the problem and have tried and not been satisfied (or failed) with previous attempts, and I would not be surprised at all if this is a similar situation, we'll wait and seen. And maybe a link to DP is not the answer, but neutral formats and interoperability carry massive potential, and the principles of formats such as IFC are something I certainly agree with. The proof as always remains on the success of the implementation, not the ideas that may have formulated the tool (and the tools that fail).

I think it's exciting times in software tool development, and I'm very interested to see where this all leads to. Discussions and insights such as yours are very much appreciated from my behalf.
Two other quick points, a priority and target of the tools I've developed is to improve productivity and ease of exchanging data from one program to another. Repetitive process/procedure such as the five day task to translate a file into DP/Catia is certainly something I would target. Whilst I'm skeptical of a one click operation, even reducing manual steps to take a 5 day task to a 1 day task could have great benefits to all concerned.

If you look through the list of external software I have connectors for, they do use the native text file format or software API to exchange data. You might very well be correct and that is also needed for Digital Project or REVIT and this is certainly possible.

Cheers,

Jon
yep I agree and I am trying to do the same thing but by creating native objects only. Be good to talk when I have something to show!
Jon,

This is great I am glad you are working initially with the IFC format as a mac user I in no way am interested in Revit, the IFC format works great for importing into ArchiCAD. I also use Unigraphics NX and have found that exporting in the parasolid format works great for that. I have been looking into the STEP assembly format a bit but nothing workable. This might work in Digital Project as well.

joel
Great, If you want to be involved in testing these tools and helping shape what's required, don't hesitate to get in touch and I'll assist with getting started.

Cheers,

Jon

Hi Jon,

I would like test any of these tools that are attempting to link Rhino to Revit.

kind regards,

Great, Installation instructions are outlined here:

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/group/geometrygym/forum/topics/install...

StructDrawRhino and ssiRhinoIFC are the most important ones for this type of model exchange, SDNF may be of interest too.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service