Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi,

I'm pretty novice in parametric design on Grasshopper and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to make concave sub surfaces that cross themselves on diagonals. Attached, a picture of Plumen lighting that is quite similar to my goal.

I think it's not that much complicated but I don't know what to do since I setted my first global surface and divided it.

Thanks for your help.

Views: 1494

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I can see two approaches that make some sense. One is to let the edges between adjacent surfaces be incidental. Basically, you create the concave surfaces and wherever they intersect, they intersect and that's where you get edges. I can see various problems with this approach, not in the least that Rhino has a long history of failed solid booleans when more than two surfaces meet. Another major problem is that it will be quite difficult to get four edges to meet in exactly one point.

Another approach is to create the grid of edges as a starting point, and only then create the concave surfaces from these edges, either as Lofts, or Patches, or Sweeps, or straight from control-points, or...

Thanks David,

I chose the second method but I'm stuck as soon as I need to create the surfaces from the edges.

I don't know how to tell Gh to make a sub surface of each intersections, each nodes.

Maybe it's not really clear, here's the begining of my Definition.

If you could tell me which components I should use it would be brilliant.

Thanks again.

Attachments:

Hi.

Take a look at the attachment. It's a bit long since the part of removing lunchbox panel seams.

You can also choose another path by using mesh subdivision. 

Attachments:

Wow, thanks a lot, that's exactly what I tried to achive but I couldn't by my own.

Gh community is incredible!

Now I'm going to decompose the process and try to understand every steps.

Thanks again Kim!

RSS

About

Translate

Search

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service