Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

I'm new to Kangaroo so am trying to teach myself how it works using definition examples that kind people have provided. 

However whenever i open one of these files i get the error warning (see attached).

Is this because im using a newer version of Kangaroo and the files im opening were written on earlier versions?

Any Help would be greatly recieved.

Cheers

Views: 4381

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, Kangaroo version 0.044 breaks backwards compatible with pre 0.04 versions, and will not open files created with those versions. It was a necessary step for the major changes that happened under the hood, but shouldn't be happening again any time at all soon.

I'll be trying to gradually build up a broader collection of up-to-date demo files, and posting them here over time.

If there are any particular examples you (or anyone else reading) are interested in then let us know, and we'll see what we can do.

That would be fantastic if could be able to do this, what im looking for is a version of this video posted on vimeo. Which allows gravity to pull down on the vectors between to points.

i think it would be  an up side down catenary definition?

see:

Kangaroo – Funicular Structure from Daniel Piker on Vimeo.

Thanks again

There is an example of this included with the download of Kangaroo.

The file is called catenary.ghx

That demo uses a simple square mesh, but you can replace it with any mesh you create in rhino for more interesting forms. Just make sure any Anchor points are on the vertices of the mesh.

Here's another example with a mesh referenced from Rhino. The starting mesh in Rhino was created by joining together a few mesh planes.

Attachments:

Daniel,

I marvel at the examples videos I see about Kangaroo, yet do not manage to get an example working. All example files I try to open are missing objects (I think this is due to the non-backward compatibility?).

Currently I am using latest versions: Rhino 5, GH 0.80004. Anyway, I wanted to look at the behaviour of a catenary, or even that of a catenary grid, like the starter of this thread was referring to. Where can I find updated versions of example files which do not generate IO-error messages when opening? Or what is missing from the definition from the picture in order to work?

thanks,

Niels

Hi Niels,

As your Rhino and Grasshopper are up to date I suspect the issue may lie with some of the additional plugins.

Several of the demos posted make use of components from UTO's mesh tools or Giulio's Weaverbird to do things like extract edges of meshes.

If installing these doesn't fix your error please post a screenshot of the error message you are getting.

Thanks for replying so quickly.

The missing plugins... that makes sense. I'm on it

Niels

edit: Ok, I've installed weaverbird and mesh tools, but when I toggle the boolean, nothing happens. Can you point me in the right direction?

p.s.: do you have any definitions which make use of galapagos?

As well as toggling the boolean you need to also start the timer by double clicking it.

I have done some stuff with Kangaroo+Galapagos - I'll try and find something to post soon

Ah...

It works ;-)

and looks awesome

Our research group Transformable Structures is involved in rigid origamy, but also deployable scissor structures. Can hinges between two beam elements be modeled as well, with appropriate constraints (i.e. the two 'line' elements can rotate in their common plane = scissor action)? Would be nice to see such a scissor system deploy under gravity, and see the effect of friction...

Here's an example of a pantograph linkage in kangaroo.

It is done by splitting the lines at their hinge point then adding bending stiffness to keep the line straight.

I am looking though at the possibility of adding rigid line elements that would allow connections along their length.

Attachments:

Daniel,

the scissor linkage is nice to play around with.

The addition of rigid line elements would be a bonus. I see in the settings component that there is a 'friction' function. can it be applied to a pivot hinge, around a single axis?; That way, by picking up an assembly of scissors, you could simulate the deployment under gravity. (and study the effect of that friction, and see when it becomes a problem.) This is an exact translation of a real world situation, in which you pick up a model of a scissor structure and you play with it, and 'feel' the kinematics and the effect of e.g. friction.

I am definitely interested in trying more examples of deployables.

there certainly will be a demo of Kangaroo in our course 'parametric design of structures: Rhino+grasshopper...

heelo

I have downloaded weaverbird and meshtools (mesh edit and geco for GH - are those the correct plugins?)
but I still seem to be missing something - the MWP box? (see pic)
when I open the Catenary2.ghx in catenary2.3dm, i get this error message...

if you could let me know what I'm doing wrong that would be great! thanks!!

Hello Daniel,

Is it possible to put the points in the middle of the mesh like in your vimeo and not just on the edges of the mesh?

Thank you!

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service