Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi Rajaa, hi everyone,

I am new to Paneling Tools.

I am trying to get my head around how to apply custom shapes using the "Morph 2D" component. Specifically, i try to apply a hexagon pattern and here it starts to get tricky.

In non-GH-Panelling Tools:

I see in rajaa's turorial ( http://vimeo.com/album/79634/video/20020346 starting from 13:20) how it's done in non-GH-Panelling Tools. It seems it uses a different concept that involves a unit grid. By that means it seems easier to match a non-stictly-row-and-colum-based pattern (like hex) to the grid.

In GH:

Using "Morph 2D" my shape will always be squeezing into a grid cell.

I have a problem seeing how to apply a seamless hex-grid this way. (since there is always "empty space" in an square cell with a hexagon in it and no cells can overlap)

Could someone give me a hint on how to proceed? Much appreciated.

cheers, frank

Views: 3494

Replies to This Discussion

I came this far editing Rajaas "Apply Staggered Pattern" definition:

getting closer, i now know it must be about shifting and changed grid density but i still don't see it through...

Yes, there is a way to do a connecting pattern like in PT for Rhino. You can even generate those in the Rhino side, save pattern to a file, then use the strings from there.  Just make sure to place each connection is a separate string input in the PT-GH component.

Here is an example.   Please get hold of the build of today (October 16).  There was a small bug that I fixed:

Hi Rajaa,

thanks a lot for your reply.

I will have to think this over. So, you do not need "Morph 2D" to apply a hex pattern to a grid? I got all stuck trying to make "Morph 2D" work.

frank 

Hi Frank,

That is right, you do not need to use morph2d, but you sure can.

Usually Morph2d is a good option to use if you have a repeatable rectangular pattern.  In the case of hexagons, you might do it as in this image:

Hi Rajaa,

Thanks again for your help. Everything worked out fine.

best, frank 

I'm trying to do this same thing, but with ptMPanel3d. I'm using a triangular cell, and need to to extract the mesh cell to use the Morph battery.  

I can get it to work if I use PT3D Cell, but then the cells are always square.

Any thoughts?

Hello Raja,

since i am also a brad new user of Grasshopper, it is really find out the right thing to do paneling. As you see in the attached file i also created a hexagon shape but there are a lot of points to use for input Pn. Despite the efforts for extracting each point, i gave a try to replicate your idea but it did not work. Could you please help me to panel these hexagon

Attachments:

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2020   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service