Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

What's more annoying than someone asking if there is a Mac version of Grasshopper?

This,

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/page/grasshopper-for-mac

Seriously. Is it happening? Will it ever happen? The reason why we keep is asking is because *eventually* there will be a Mac version of Rhino. It would be great if us Mac user could get all of the great plugins for the Mac as well... eventually. And if it WON'T happen, it would be good to know that too so we don't have to keep feeling like chumps when we ask about it. I would be happy to give up hoping for something that isn't going to happen and just buy the Windows version of Rhino so I can use Grasshopper. But I need to know that it isn't going to happen before I do that. I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on the windows version only to be surprised to find out that the Mac version of Grasshopper is months or even a year away.

So anything more than "It does not exist."  would be extremely helpful. We know it doesn't exist. It would be nice to know if it will ever exist.

Thanks

Views: 6065

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Never say never...but from what I've read and heard time and time again...I wouldn't hold my breath...instead, Bootcamp and Windows if you want to get started soon.

While I am no authority on the matter, nor do I control whether this will happen or not, there is sufficient info out there to suggest that it will happen.  The McNeel folks have been able to get most Rhino plugins to work in the mac version.  As I understand it, what is holding up the GH making it over (fully) to the mac version is its dependence on the graphics libraries for Windows.  There is no easy direct translation here, so, this is still under development.  There is info spotted around the forum, you just need to dig deep enough to find it, and see that there is development of GH for Mac, but still, we should not hold our breath as there are significant hurdles to overcome.  These hurdles are just technical, and should have a solution.  Below are some references that point to the graphics issue I am discussing as well as a list from David where he does state that he is working on the Mac version. 

Another positive note is that in Rhino 6, GH will be along for the ride...meaning (as I understand it) that we will not need to download GH after installation, it will be part of the Rhino install.  I think this is a positive note as it means that GH will be more associated with the default Rhino experience, an experience which should carry over to the Mac version.

So, to sum up:

1. GH for Mac will probably happen. 

2. Seems all of the code that does not depend on the graphic part (the logic in the components, Rhinocommon) already works in the mac.

3. Other Rhino plugins are already making their way to the Mac.

4. GH is becoming part of the default Rhino experience, and should probably carry over to the Mac experience.

5. Don't hold your breath.  When it will happen is not under anyone's control necessarily.  The solution needs to be practical in order for it to be rolled out.

My $0.02.

References:

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/topics/partial-developer-absence...

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/forum/topics/grasshopper-for-mac-updat...

It's not annoying that people ask. I'm annoyed that someone decided to start a rumour that you have to email me personally to get access to the Mac beta. I don't know where they get this information from.

We've had several false starts with trying to port GH to the Mac. In the process some progress was made, but unfortunately only for plugins that have no UI. We're a long way away from having it work, but we are still determined to keep on trying. If you need Grasshopper in the next year or two, better get the Windows version. After that I have no idea what's going to happen.

We don't know if it will ever exist. We've tried twice and failed to make a UI intensive plugin run on both Windows and Mac. I don't imagine our next attempt will be without hurdles.

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

To be honest, I'd rather have one platform supported right, then a mediocre all-platform solution that depends on layer upon layer of (really not) platform independent frameworks.

I hate to be required to install QuickTime on a PC just to run an audio app just because developers don't want to spend time to properly debug their DirectShow implementation.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service