Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi there,

I have run into some trouble with a voronoi tessellation.

I have managed to get the tessellation to work but would like to chamfer the points of each cell so they are rounded.

Does anyone have a way to do this?

I have included an example of the Voronoi tessellation and the corresponding Rhino file and I have included a jpeg of the type of chamferring changes I am interested in.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

Ben

Views: 1659

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Isn't this just curves with their control points at the voronoi cell corners?

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

At least for the patched splines approach that StructDrawRhino uses some of the control points are offset outside the original polygon.  I've attached the definintion if it's of interest, it produces cells as shown in the image.

Attachments:

Thanks for replying so quickly David!

I must admit I am very new to Grasshoppper. I suppose it could be curves with their control points at the Voronoi cell corners but I am not sure how to firstly define points at each of the voronoi cell corners and then to draw the corresponding curve, with the correct proportions. 

Cheers!

Well, the voronoi cells are outputted as polylines. So you can either get the control-points for the polylines (there's a component called 'Control Points' in Curve.Analysis). Once you have these points, use them to create a Control Point curve (probably degree=2).

The other option is to use the Discontinuity component, which should return a list of all the kinks in a curve. For polylines it's basically the same data, with the exception it won't give you duplicate points at the start/end of the curve.

I attached an example file.

If you want really clever fitting like in Jon's example, there's nothing that will directly do that for you (except the component in StructDraw).

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

Ah yes, the attachment. That's what I get for doing support at 0:30 am...

--

David Rutten

david@mcneel.com

Poprad, Slovakia

Attachments:

You guys are great, thanks a lot!

I'll see how I go. 

David and Jon,

Thanks for the help. I managed to somewhat combine the advice from both of you and came up with something that looks pretty good! 

I have to say though, that I find the various options that go with loft such as build, refit, etc. kinda confusing, but i think the end result is not too bad. 

Thanks again for your help. 

Ben

Attachments:

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by