Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi guys!

So I have an intersecting mobius strip and I am trying to unroll this into a straight rectangular surface that has the same u and v domain, which I will use to punch holes through and remap it on the mobius strip. 

What step should I take to make the surface into a regular grid so that it can unroll into a rectangle than a curved surface.

I was trying to deconstruct the domain of the surface and create a new surface with a controlled domain, but I have no idea what to do next.

Views: 5463

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Please ignore the image I uploaded named original.jpg.

So I tried to make the holes at the right spot using two different ways, but it seems like the two ends of the unrolled stip gets stretched out when it gets remapped back onto the intersecting mobius strip, which is placing the rest of the holes at the wrong spot. I have no clue why it's doing this. The two surface UV values seem to match...

Please help me!! Need to get this done in an hour

And here is the file

Attachments:

"Need to get this done in an hour"!!??  Hah, hah, hah...

This is quite a difficult problem, brah, I don't have the right solution either, but here's what I've got so far:

But!  This is my work, not yours.  Completely original.  If this is homework for a class, maybe you better not look at it?

Attachments:

I don't think I will use your work for it, but thank you for the help!

Just trying to get some clues on how to solve this on my own.

Can I tease you guys with this?

Its raw stuff... maybe not very useful....

I'll try to clean the definition if i got more time.

Adding descriptions, complete the trim, thickness....

bye :D

Attachments:

Super sweet!  Holes all aligned - looks like you nailed it!!  Awesome work, will study this one.

Hey Guys! ....that's awesome, with lots of possibilities !....Prost!

:P

Sadly those lasts components to trim the surface really slow things down....

I like to make .gifs too much XD

Why not making it around any curve instead just only to a circle?

...just wait

Riccardo Majewski, that GH code is a brilliant piece of digital art, showing how to parametrize the problem properly, beautifully and correctly.  Thank you for sharing it!  BRAVO, superbly well done!  I am STUNNED by the results, this is AMAZING!!!

At a glance, I found the code hard to read.  I looked and failed to find 'NumHoles' and/or 'Hole Diameter' sliders, then realized (from your wow animated .gif) that hole diameter is parametrized from 'Stripe Width', with perhaps a gap parameter buried somewhere?

And much more to the model; so very cool.

wow, thanks!
And, sorry... didn't managed to get time to untangle the definition... usually i post definition with comments also... i know how its struggling to "read" someone else definition... (maybe simple tricks become incomprehensible because of the disorder...)

I've just done [total lenght (unrolled) of the tape] / [the tape width] , this, to found the maximum possible size of the circles.

But then I "rounded" that number to make it uneven , to make circles "avoid" each-others.

like this > { [round.floor(x/2)] *2 } +1

Now that you make me think of it, it works also with more than 2 full-loops. I don't really understand WHY it works... probably it's something similar to a Venier Scale... (or more simply i'm going mad... )

That mess in the top of the definition is to make "smooth" the start-end of the tape, added some sections at 1/2 and 1/4 of the first-last sectors.... maybe also a 1/8 more could be cool...

Maybe i'm explaining myself bad, 1:43 here...

Goodnight!

I need some help with extruding the moebius strip with a vector that's normal to the curve, obviously the typical x,y,z vectors don't work!

All the more complicated because of the twist used to make the moebius strip; 'Offset' surface fails (below).  I got thickness by lofting a thin rectangle with rounded corners but then failed at cutting the holes:

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service