Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

events tab informs there are 32 of them taking place but only one in US! I just finished book titled: That used to be us: how America fell behind in the world it invented and how we can come back. Cannot stop to wonder.

Views: 1656

Replies to This Discussion

The book you mention seems to imply the US is falling behind in economic growth.

There seems to be a lot more interest in BIM solutions on the US (firms trying to switch from Autocad to software like Revit) than in Europe. The decision to switch to BIM is made on a cost-benefit basis. On the other hand, software like Grasshopper, while I genuinely think it's useful for many practical tasks, one of its main uses is still as a design toy for teachers and students that most of the time don't seem to translate to profitable designs.

You are not going to get out of a recession by designing fachades with voronoi tesselations.

"You are not going to get out of a recession by designing facades with voronoi tesselations."

HA

That's not the proper way to quote, you should've written: "... fachades [sic] ..."

didn't think it mattered right now but ok.
It's OK to ignore about half of what I reply.
For-profit seminars are perhaps not the best way judge Grasshopper infiltration into practice...

Not necesarily. The atendees might be students, teachers or firms trying to produce a sophisticated design to enter in a competition for a public building.

If the end client is a public institution, there are no market forces at play and no way to tell if it's actually profitable.

Exactly.  

Grasshopper is mostly in the "design" sector so no one (read: architecture firms) will showcase their mastery of it as it's only a tool, not an end product.

BIM is more downstream (read: coordination) and cross-sector (read: contractors) so people can the benefits are easier to see.

If the benifits of BIM are easier to see, you'd expect to see more people interested in it here in Europe, but instead they attend "Parametric Architecture" seminars. Nothing wrong with it, but if you are aiming for economic growth, the US seems to be more interested in what actually matters.

Again, I see Grasshopper as an actual productive tool, I'm just arguing most of the hype is getting in Europe is for the wrong reasons.

Grasshopper flies under the radar as a power-drawing tool.  Managed correctly, it becomes a means to translate formal gyrations into construction documentation in a way that is much more efficient than hiring a bunch of CAD monkeys.
Plus, it can be leveraged in the Design/Build environment...as the designers and constructors work together to improve the design, a well paramaterized model can be adjusted according to various needs.
I'm currently building my business based on these principles.  One project I'm working on now is continuously evolving, and my model has the capacity to integrate these changes.  Ultimately, it's going to produce CNC files for about 700 unique elements.  Another project involves instantiating different steel connection elements on a dynamic surface...that one has 10000 pieces in it so far.  There's no way I could do either of these things without GH.  No way at all...and I am saving the end client a lot of money with these implementations.  I love using GH as a design tool...but I'm finding my bread and butter making it a drawing slave...and it's working very well for that.

Cool. Are any of your clients in the private sector?

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service