Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

split list of points and orient different curves to them

what I'm trying to do is create a set of points and reduce them by a certain amount. once I have the reduced points I want to divide them into 3-5 different sets for points and then orient one curve out of a list of 3-5 curves to each point. so in the attached image you can see the 0,4 point did what I want  it to but all the other ones are the same curve.

once that's done is it possible to move some of them in different directions. I want some to stay put, some to move in the x direction and some to move in the y direction.

thanks

Views: 868

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Is this what you're trying to do?

basically you have x number of curves so you would need to partition your list of points by the number of curves you have. The curves will then graft - one to each list

Attachments:

or this...which is the other way round and creates the number of lists for the number of curves you have rather than the number of item per list.

Attachments:

I thought I had it figured out and I think I'm close but now theres an issue where its putting in three extra curves. there's 477 points but its orienting 480 curves (3 extra)

Attachments:

A suggestion is attached which means you don't flatten your list.

Attachments:

yeah exactly what I'm looking for, knew it was something simple that I was overlooking. thanks

You'll also need to decide on what the criteria is for the ones that move in the Y.... Is it random? is it the first of each list? is it the ones at a certain position?

Either way, controlling with paths {#;#} is a good discipline to have.

what do you mean by "controlling with paths {#;#}" I did it randomly and seemed to work out the way I wanted. I think I got lucky though that none of them hit eachother. I think the next test would be finding a way to test them if they interest with another curve and cull one of the curves that hits another. thanks

Attachments:

That's good, glad it works.

With the paths, you can do some very handy organisational things, but there's a lot of intelligence with how they work behind the scenes. In the first versions of grasshopper, I remember you having to specify how you wanted inputs to cross reference which is generally taken care of in the later versions with some default rules.

I've put this little tutorial storyboard together which barely scratches the surface...

But to get an idea of what you can achieve with paths, check out this discussion

Attachments:

Check out this discussion...since you mention testing curves for intersection..... another one where I use the organisational power of paths ... in this case to deduce some inherent truths about the relationships between curves ... I.e the ones that don't touch eachother will produce empty lists.... also a bit more about cross-referencing in that example and avoiding holistic cross-referencing where its not needed.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service