Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi All,

I'm a bit stuck on this definition. Basically I'd like to find the smallest of the two angles between each strut(line) and it's two adjacent neighbors as they exist coming from each common node or base point. Having this angle would then ideally drive a distance parameter for each line - i.e. if a strut coming from index node (3) had neighboring struts at 20 degrees and 75 degrees to it's vector, then the 20 degree measurement would be associated with/drive a parameter for that specific strut (line). This would need to happen for each line as they come from each node. I used the Sandbox line topology component to get started, but I'm stuck on isolating for each specific strut and it's neighbors. 

Any, help/advice would be appreciated!

Views: 3673

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Alex - I got this to where I wanted it, with your help of course! Greatly appreciated and I'll definitely give you credit! Right now I'm in a residency at Autodesk Pier 9 of all places. One of the projects I'm working on is types of parametric nodes/joints - pretty open and general, but just exploring now. I've done a number of them, but now I'm trying to clean up some of the ones I think work well and make them more efficient - this is where your help really came in handy - the connections are now much more efficient as they're only as long as they need to be based on the tightest neighboring angle! Before I was just giving them a length manually. I had a snippet of a definition from Andrew Heumann which got the minimum angle at a joint, BUT it only returned a single smallest angle for the entire joint if I recall. Anyway, this is just the beginning of some ongoing work.....I think the applications are open to furniture, small scale architectural applications, integrating structure + surface, etc.....

Hoping at some point to get into some structural optimization......we'll see!

Here are a few prototype samples / pieces so far:

Pretty cool!

Good thing you aren't contractually obligated to use Dynamo...

Yep - they're pretty good about just letting people use whatever! There is obviously some pressure to use their software, but that's fine/understandable. I've been seeing how well some programs get along....some better than others. I've been using Inventor HSM for CAM and it opens Rhino files without having to export as another type and it's pretty intuitive for CAM.....

This is great work! I am really glad this helped you go further, and thank you for sharing these pictures.

Structural optimization sounds like a nice addition.

Good luck with rest of work.

cheers

alex

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by