Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hello everyone,

has someone a suggestion how to start with a reciprocal system on a freeform surface in grasshopper? Any suggestions are welcome.

Views: 38753

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

HI!

I'm also looking for a solution to this problem. But with a hexagonal grid and the reciprocal system should contain triangles. SOmewhat like this but applicable to any surface.

Maybe take a look here:

http://www.co-de-it.com/wordpress/code/grasshopper-code

They have some nice surface subdivision scripts to get you started. You can build from that i think.

Cheers!

No easy answers but here's a reference project for you.  Structural system is referred to as "shift frame" by some.

Rokko Observatory

Attachments:

Thanks a lot for the infomaterial. I hope I'll be able to find a solution. In my case it will need to be a self-supporting framework without any kind of connectors to hold te ends together. so each peace resting on another will keep the next in place. So it will most likely result in a dome shaped form...

After reading the article of ROKKO I don't think its too easy to code something like that.

But this would be exactly what i need:A ghx file which can bring this grid onto any kind of surface...

Hi All,

Interresting subject.

I decided to give it a shot and I've come up with a definition which creates a flat "reciprocal frame layout" from an arbitrary line network:

The definition (attached) is not optimal in terms of computing speed, but it might be a starting point, maybe this will be helpful to someone.

The next step could be manipulating this grid in 3d, ie. using the Kangaroo method described here.

Then, you'd have to tilt the elements up/down to get a true reciprocal frame, though I'm guessing that with polygonal networks varying in number of connections per node this could require some scripting.

Note: The definition uses the component "Remove duplicate lines" from the Kangaroo plugin.

Attachments:

hi, interesting definition achieved, but let me know if you have any idea of how fit a given 3D surface and achieve the manufacture of items such as wooden beams worked ...
I have reviewed the definition on which to create a kangaroo using 3D deformation is also quite good and helpful.

This is my approach. It uses some components that will be introduced further in Starling_0.2 release, so I will probably add this def as an example.

Mateusz Zwierzycki ... components "pMnei" and "pMDecompose" used in the definition to describe a reciprocal mesh plugins that I can find, I'm not very advanced in grass but I'm dabbling lately in this

It uses some components that will be introduced further in Starling_0.2

Names of these components will definitely change. I will release 0.2 in near future, need some time to put it all up together.

Ok, that's why we did not find them, I have indexed starling I found on your project page for rhino starling (starling for rhino) esepro that count and then with these components that would help quite for my study at university.

Is there any way I can see the definition in rhino without these components???

i know this might seem silly, but could you tell me the names of the commands of pmnei and pmdecompose?

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service