Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi,

Im new on grasshopper and i would like to know how to do a facade like pictures attached. It needed to be irregular, managed by attractors to have different reliefs.

I would like to design the structure on the edges too. Do u know wich tool i need?

Help please.

Cheers

Views: 3433

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

look at the delunay component

best

m

Here's an indicative (without gaps) way to do it.

Includes a challenge for you (in fact 2).

Attachments:

Thanks a lot for that!

Actually, my final aim is to make all the slats on each triangle face swing. Like on shutters (picture attached). I don't know if its possible. Do you know the way to do it, if grasshopper can make it?

At the end, the surface should open those slats, triangle by triangle, managed by sun path.

Thanks

Attachments:

Well...try to finish the def properly and then rotate the stripes/slats (you'll need frames as well and a rather complex way to connect them each other or some equally complex way to attach them to some kind of LBS [truss or other]).

Actually I have a C# thingy that does stripes/slats on mesh faces (or brep) but is carried over solely via code and it could be rather useless for you.

From what Peter has started, have a look if you can make use of this... There are controls for the length of slats to shorten them to avoid clashes, and you have the angle control slider. You can also change the profile of the slats by setting the profile curve to a different shape.

Attachments:

Attached caps the extrusions and has a few alternatives to demonstrate a few different shape profiles

Attachments:

Very nice, thanks!

And what i need to do if i want a squared tube structure (no pipes)?

It will be a similar technique to the orient planes for how the profile locates for the slats. See if you can use the same principle for the members where pipe is currently connected - (The connection at the nodes may need to be figured out more though.)

As Julian said ... plus:

Either use a "perimeter" planar frame (per face: 3 linear members) that supports the slats .. meaning that you should mastermind a way to connect the inclined (each other) frame sides ...

... Or use a frame at the planes bisector angle (where planes are the ones due to the neighbor faces per edge) ... meaning that you should mastermind a rather complex node (this is not that easy and I would strongly recommend to skip it for the moment) that joins the frames AND a way to attach (at an angle) the slats to the common frame (use ball pivot joins for that).

Given the real-life complexity of the linear joint/"hinge" (case 1) or the node (case 2) ... I would recommend some MERO KK "truss like" framing (avoid at any cost to use "just" tubes and no balls).

Peters quite right....And as he's pointed out in his response to me -
doing something once and referencing it to where it needs to be is a good way to approach the task. Sometimes the doing once is creating a solution for the whole shape (if you're lucky), other tines its breaking it down into components parts 1D 2D and replicating them and resolving the other dimensions later

E.g triangular mapping is a brilliant function for mapping coordinates or placing points a specific number or relative location to an edge within the face, but shape geometry will distort for irregular triangles so not so good a place for the pipe members or nodes geometries if you want regular thickness.
And as Peter's challenge below, one node is shared by multiple geometry so when it comes to creating node solutions that are affected by distorted and differing numbers of triangles that surround it, you ideally want to avoid replicating nodes by the number of faces it has.

With a little adjustment at the beginning of the tree to generate the points, this can be done which also give a nice adjustable control of the dominant direction of the façade rather than it just being horizontal.

Attachments:

You are good (do you have any relation with people living in Kolonaki, Athens?).

Here's a fun challenge for you:

Get a mesh (open or closed [as shown]). Do a truss (say a MERO KK classic one) out of it (skip the ultra complex sleeves: just cones and tubes). Try to address clash situations (use trigonometry and connectivity data). Take care for an auto strut radius/cone size/radius policy as an option (based on the smallest strut axis). Make the connectivity Trees (nodes to nodes, nodes to struts, struts to nodes, faces to struts). Then do the stripes/slats (or use an "outer layer" for these + frames as is the norm).

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service