Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

i have been a Generative Components user for a long time and only an occasional grasshopper user. but i have been using it more and though i would start to port my C# libraries over. the first one is a minimal surface generator. i will release it as soon as i get 2 bugs worked out. 
here are some screen shots. the calculations are fast enough for real time feedback which is good. 

the plugin takes 4 boundary curves and stretches a minimal surface between them (think of the 4 curves as wires you dip in soap like frei otto) 

after i finish this i may port over a plugin that can read maya nParticles in real time and display them as point clouds with all the extra data (acceleration, speed, size, color...)

Views: 11288

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, an interesting test case. Here's a Kangaroo take on it. (kangaroo on the left, to]'s membrane file on the right)
As expected, the simple spring network model doesn't give exact minimal surfaces, but it's a fairly close approximation.
Hi Daniel, the Kangaroo solution seems good enough. would you give me more clues?? Pray you could see this .
how quickly you noticed this. there seams to be a little bug. i am close to solving it! thanks for letting me know
ok so i fixed the problem. thanks for showing me this

in the image the orange is the new minimalSurface and the grey was your original rhinoMembrane. the rhino membrane had a area of 32.6299432 (+/- 1e-08) square meters and i was able to get my surface to 32.4830499 (+/- 1.5e-06) square meters. i will package it and post it soon.

hey great, no prob
looking forward to test it again ;)
GREAT!!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
Well done....
thank you robert!!!
The minimal surface plugin for grasshopper has been updated. below is a list of what is new. you can find the download on my site www.cerver.org

1.You now have control over the u and v resolution independently.

2. Set the iteration parameter ‘I” to 0 to have the amount of iteration automatically computed to return the minimal solution based on your U/V values. Note that this takes a very long time to calculate due to the time it takes rhino calculates surface information.

3. The "P" output are now created as a 2D array (Grasshopper data tree)

Also note:

This plug-in is designed for form finding and does not automatically compute the optimum U/V/I values to get to the most minimal solution. I will add this in the future but play with the U/V/I parameters in order to find the optimum solution. As a designer always returning the optimum solution is not always best so I leave the parameters flexible in order to produce a range of results.
I like the new features. Thank you!

It is just breathtaking,for any architects and designers its a great tool to explore with

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service