Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

I am new to and have been experimenting with the image sampler
component, I would like to be able to create what should basically look
like a stippled pen and ink drawing with a sort of point density
field.  Essentially, I would like darker colors in the sampled image to
produce a field of densely populated points whereas the lighter colors
to be less densely populated with points.   Any ideas?

Views: 15074

Replies to This Discussion

Haven't tested this, but you could iterate over the whole image in a fine-grained manner, using the brightness as a guide for random point placement. The darker the image the more likely it is to add a point.

This should give you an initial approximation. You will then probably need to distribute the points a bit more equally as a random distribution never looks well balanced. You could create a Delaunay mesh from the points then smooth the mesh. This last step is a Rhino operation though.

The hardest thing about a process like this is that you want smooth point gradients on fills but sharp point groups on edges.

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Poprad, Slovakia
Hey thanks a lot David! I ran a Delaunay to redistribute the points, and manually edited a few outlying points in Rhino after baking but the result was what I was looking for.

Alex
can we see the resulting image?

can you share the result ?

The definition I posted here:

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/group/hoopsnake/forum/topics/lloyds-al...

distributes points according to an image and smooths them.

and Andrew Heumann has been doing some very nice work with hatching and image density

what happened to the idea of stippling?

Hi Alex

i little late but id really like to see your definition.

I have created a simple definition, i think it could work

this file works ok graphically stippling_works.gh

Hi Felipe,

I know it's been a while, but if you still have that definition handy, could you post it please? Thanks very much!

i'm finally back on this issue, yet the world hasn't done much to solve it in many years; wtf seriously...

we need this to be solved in true 3d , otherwise we'll be wasting time, unless all you have is an image, but thats a different issue imo

we need a non-realistic rendering tool that can halftone shade and shadows with different patterns and shapes imo

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service