Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

For tonight's homework I want everyone to go and explore Grasshopper. I don't just mean glance around at drop down menus I mean really have an in-depth investigation of an area that you don't normally see in your day-to-day use.

Then post your findings here. Everyone is to submit something that they never knew about before.

Views: 3477

Replies to This Discussion

I will start the ball rolling:

I never knew... Template File. Brilliant!

My new template file.

Consists of a grid drawn in Rhino and Loaded onto the Canvas in separate sections so that I can set Sketch Properties to colour and thickness of line to create the logo effect that sits in the top right hand corner.

for those that don't know you can create a Sketch Object on the canvas and then replace it with a Rhino Curve. The position and size will be reflected in Grasshopper. Once on the canvas you can move it around and changes its attributes but you won't be able to scale it:

*should be top left hand corner :S

I had never noticed Solution > Upgrade Components. No idea when this feature was added, but could definitely save some time when updating an old definition. It warns you, but I'll mention again here that this is not undoable, so save as a new file first just in case.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for all Old components, like SqGrid and Expression for example, but seems to get most of them. I am still using 0.9.14 though, so maybe that is no longer the case...

Great topic!

I was not aware of the View->Data viewer until today.
Pretty handy tool.

To complete this assignment you need to do a "show and tell" :)

Got it, teacher :)

It seem the Data Viewer replicates and combines the usage of Param Viewer and Panel.
You do not have to attach the Param Viewer and Panel to each output plug to see what's going on in there - just run Data viewer, enable the Auto Update option and click on particular plug.

For example, I clicked on the "P" output plug of the Square component. As you can see the Data Viewer instantly showed the branches structure, with it's paths, number of items on each branch, and each particular item:

Further more, it could be used for input plugs too, even Panels and Param Viewers itself.

ahhhh the data viewer is great....

one of my surprising findings were the shortcuts while working with connections and nodes.

ALT+Left Mouse Button(LMB): to expand the canvas

STRG+SHIFT+LMB: to move a bunge of connections to another node

SHIFT+ALT+LMB: to copy nodes instantly

STRG+ALT+LMB: to find the used node in the tabs

There are only a few Tutorials where these are mentioned and the shortcuts-list in GH does not show them.

Very nice Thomas, I was not aware of some of these.
For those with English keyboard, STRG is CTRL (Control) button.

Ah.... 

Unfortunately those are broken in the new version :(

Good one.

Handy tip: assign a shortcut to it for quick access mine is F12

I particularly like that you can have multiple Data Viewers open at the same time, and with typical Rutten flair I like the "target beam".

How did you assign the shortcut?
File->Preferences->Shortcut and then what? By clicking on Data Viewer it becomes red, then typing the appropriate keyboard key, and then? How to confirm the chosen keyboard key?

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service