Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Equal square/rectangle grid on irregular surface? Panelizing?

Hey everyone!

I'm trying to get a grid going on an irregular surface, but I'm trying to get each square/rectangle to have the same width and height. Right now I'm just working with a surface divide. Shifting the points to make lines in between. Also, is there a way of making individual rectangular surfaces in between the points?

Here's a screenshot of my form:

Definition:

Any help of advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Ra

Views: 17350

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Anyone? No?
hi Ra,

Can you draw, in rhino, some lines on the same surface depicting the results that you want to achieve?

Danny
Hi Danny,

Here's my go at it:

They're just extracted isocurves taken by dividing the bottom curve equally and also dividing the height equally. Problem is that each square wouldn't be the same width and height. There's too much variation with the dimensions so I was wondering if there's another way of dividing the surface to run panels with consistent dimensions over the surface. (trying to figure out a cheap way of manufacturing these facade panels with patterns on them, also to figure out glass paneling).

I saw the Kunsthaust by Peter Cook and he did something similar but ended up with over 1200 different panels.

http://gernot.xarch.at/kunsthaus_graz/___03sep30_nurbsflaeche_skin_...

His website shows all his procedures

Thanks a lot, Danny!
Hi Ra,

Here's my stab at it. Using the surface's approximate dimensions to get a roughly uniform width based on a slider value that you can change.

Attachments:
Thanks, Danny!

Was wondering though, is there a way to fit them all in as squares/rectangles 'cause sometimes, they turn out as rhombuses, or something like that.

Also, I tried culling the points out as I attempted to make rectangular surfaces out of 4 points. And that pretty much failed. Is there an easier way of doing it?

Hope this all isn't too much to ask. Thanks again!
"Ye canny defy the laws of physics capt'n"

That's not what you drew above.

Can you compromise with squares (not quite identical) and Triangles where the square falls off the edge?
Sorry! I couldn't really draw it up. Unfortunately that is the closest I can get.

I guess I can compromise with squares. Triangles seem to work very well on Kunsthaus above. But I can't figure out how they managed to get equilateral triangles. Well maybe not equilateral; something close to it, but looks rather convincing!
It looks like your surface has some double curvature, so it won't be possible to cover it with perfectly flat identical panels fitting together exactly. Which of these things can you make compromises on ?
I don't mind if my surface turns out faceted and rigid, but I'm looking into a way of reducing the amount of different squares or triangles paneled on the surface. Or any alternative to make it cheaper/easier for fabrication.
As Daniel was alluding to it's much easier to panelize if you don't have warped surfaces to begin with. Can you make the surfaces flat or developable?

Thanks for that Taz!

Actually I have simplified it. Here's a sample of it:

Just not a big fan of the rhombuses developing on the surfaces, but perhaps I can facet it further.

Using the definition that Danny attached above, is there a way to make 4 point surfaces out of the points and get grasshopper to make a list of the dimensions or some numbering system to list out the different types of panels?
Sorry. I did the curvature analysis wrong. They still appear to be curving.

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service