Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Dear users,

in a couple of weeks I'm giving a lecture at the AAG10 conference and I'll be talking about Galapagos. Instead of a set of hypothetical scenarios I'd much prefer to show actual cases where Galapagos is used to solve a problem.

Of course I realise that in the current state Galapagos leaves much to be desired. Wishes have been pouring in since it was first included and I have every intention of working on these in the upcoming week(s). So if you run into problems trying to apply Galapagos please post them in this thread and I'll see about getting it fixed/added.

I talk about some of the behind-the-scenes algorithms that drive Galapagos in this post. It might be a good starting point if you want to learn a bit more about the details.

Goodwill,
David

--
David Rutten
david@mcneel.com
Poprad, Slovakia

Views: 8459

Replies to This Discussion

I think I'm getting it now Thanks David for the new Interface. BTW I don't know if someone allready told you this but I just love your random LOL cats

cheers
I'm very glad :)
David,
This is an example of "multiple target optimization": two or three variables are "optimal" in their own right, and it comes down to a "preference" decision... in nature (and in Design) this is often the case, where different species respond in completely opposite ways to the same environment, and each survives on a different strategy.
It would be a great addition to Galapagos, and very useful for design applications.

Kind regards and thanks for a fantastic tool!!!
Kudos to you!!!!

William.
This is a solution using Galapagos and the GECO plugin. Its point is to find minimal sun radiation surfaces. The idea being to design roofs that are energy efficient in warm climates like mine in Venezuela. Using Ecoetc data, a local weather file, and GECO, i can produce a fitness function that can retrieve a surface's solar radiation values for a specific location, in a relatively easy and fast way. The evolution process is of course slow, and in this case the genome contains only 6 genes, not that much for a complex roof surface. But it works. I have seen sun paths and acoustical simulations written inside GH that can surely be faster in Galapagos, but this is much faster and easier to implement for most users. So think plugins like GECO are very important for galapagos use for example in the architecture field, and would love to se many more. So thanks very much to david and also thanks to .[U TO].

Attachments:

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service