generative modeling for Rhino
Complete dymaxion projection of the world map. Lot of manual work, lot of Grasshopper scripting, project from start to finish took about 4 hours. Steps:
1. Download coastal vector data from USGS server.
2. Write importer VB script to parse dat files and create Grasshopper polylines.
3. Manually remove country border curves from coastal curves.
4. Manually join remaining curves into as many closed loops as possible.
5. Remove short polylines and short segments from long polylines.
6. Map polylines onto sphere.
7. Project spherical polylines onto manually created icosahedron using a VB script.
8. Split polylines along facet boundaries and create groups of all polyline segments that fall within a single triangle.
9. Manually unfold the icosahedron.