generative modeling for Rhino
I finally had some time to run into my very,very first project with GH this week.
Lots of fun!
Hope everything's running well for all of you, guys...
Thanks to Jose Luis's skills I had some precious notes to make this simple GH definition starting from a blank page and few sketches I made during the camp. Not being skilled yet with GH I decided to make something simple that I can modify with per-defined parameters I want to control.
I have 3 questions about this definition :
1: I have a Shape missing @ the start of my input Crv probably because I used the Shift List so that the first Pt is not include in the set of operations. I don't remember how to solve it (see picture shiftList.jpg)
2: I started from a Rhino Crv to build the global shape for the model and I'm wondering if it's possible to shift all PTs from Top to Y=0 to get a straight Line and/or control the top shape (see picture setY0.jpg) ?
3: Because I choosed a certain logic to build this definition I'm wondering if it's possible to rotate all beams locally on the planes to orient each section according to the local vector on the input Crv ( see picture rotate.jpg) ?
Please let me know if you need more info's...
There is something wrong with the rar file, doesn't work. Could you try compressing to zip and sending it again?
1. It looks like the logic you are implementing is having the base of the profile be according to the distance of that profile to the next. Therefore, in the last profile, since there is no 'next one', the width is zero and that is why it doesn't show up. It's not a mistake, is just a consecuence of your logic. To solve this, you can either eliminate that profile from the design, or trick the definition and for a example copy the dimensional values of the pre-last profile for the last one.
2. Of course, that is extremely easy! Think about it again, I can tell you you know how to do that! ;)
3. Sure, also very easy. You can either rotate the whole profile once lofted, or probably what you want to do is rotate the planes before generating the profile curves. That is very easily done with 'Rotate Place' (PRot).
4. Instead of generating the three points for the rectangle by moving the central one with translation vectors, try generating them with relative coordinates relative to that plane ('Point Oriented') or simply generating the rectangles directly with a rectangle component and using those planes as bases!
There is a known issue with RAR files and the Ning Social Network
Thank you for your answer.
As I see the learning curve is starting for me ;o)
4. I tried to use rectangles first but I couldn't figure out to scale them 1D from a side and not from the center as they are circumscribed.
That's why I tried to use 3Pts rectangle component to control the length from a corner.
I tried the approach (point oriented) you suggested to build another definition.
I also used a vector to orient the base plane according to the input curve and have a new issue: Cannot straighten a plane with a zero line vector. I understand the error but I don't see how to solve this. I used the orient plane comp to rotate the planes according to each vectors on the base crv. could you explain the logic of it?
Is this more or less a better definition regarding GH (except the issues from above I still have to consider: 1,2+ runtime errors) before going further ?
The .rar file just contain the pictures above.
Thanks for your answer.
2 : I found a way to do this, but I'm not sure the method is conventional.
3 : Not needed with the new definition
Right this is fixed.
I would like to scale some sections in @ x% on the x axis according the the y position of the top points. If Y is more than a certain value, no scale, if less I want to apply a x factor for the scaling.
Can someone help me to build this condition?
4. If you look at the rectangle component, it asks you for Domains, not dimensions. If you feed it with a Domain from -1 to 3 for example, you will get an offset rectangle like you are looking for.
I don't really understand what your new problem is, could you be more specific, highlight it in the definition or post some pictures like you did before?
Right, there are some basic concept I have to understand with GH components, sorry to be so basic...
See here : I think the export picture command is buggy on my GH, It's launching the command console and produce a picture with a black BG (see attached).
Anyway here's a snapshot of the issue.
I want to control the top set of points with a slider to modify the top shape in y axis (from curve to a straight line)
2: I can't figure out how to control these points properly with my definition.(see picture 2) i don't see which components could do this the way I want
.I tried something in my definition but It's not working well when I connect the components.
Or the logic I used to control these point is not correct to do this?
Have a look at this thread for an answer to the black background issue you are having.
Just tried and it's working well.
Don't really understand why the alpha is producing a black color in GH but as soon as there's a solution we can handle that, thx.
what image editor are you using?