Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hello,

Is it possible with karamba to analyze such setup as the following found in ICD work and papers?

To my understanding these are two similar tests, with their difference being their boundary condition, hinged in the first picture, both having feedback from the force gauge between the two ends, giving values for each selected lock position.

I have been through the karamba example files, but cannot understand if such model can be set up. As an architect i have found myself lost in structural engineering topics.

thank you in advance for your time.

best

alex

Views: 95

Replies to This Discussion

Your description is right. So I guess you could just set the boundary conditions accordingly and look for reaction forces? One side could be pined or fixed. Then connect a truss member to the other end with initial lack of fit?

Yike

Hello,

thank you for your reply. This is where i got so far. Does this seem reasonable? I am having difficulties setting up the material properties.

thank you

alex

edit* there is a wrong expresion for the conversion from N to kN.

Attachments:

Hi,

Please see attached file.

I used a shell element instead of beam to represent the plywood and used "large deformation" as the algorithm to solve to problem. The nodal location at the right end of support have large deformations after the load application, so the whole problem is nonlinear in nature. Iterations are necessary to get the correct result.

BTW, the initial piece should have a slight bend so as to facilitate the target deformation.

Attachments:

thank you for your answer. for some reason, although i have email notifications for replies etc on, i am not getting any lately. ning must be confused again.

tbh i cannot grasp yet how with the definition you shared i can relate the force gauge reading with deformation. As i understood from further reading non linear analysis is needed, as you suggested, for such large deformations. btw what the max deflection and max node translation for non linearity to begin and to go to non linear analysis?

i am trying to understand what these mockups do.

In the 1st picture so far i understand it depicts that same force outputs different radius, due to fiber orientation, and 2nd one geometric characteristics and radius with max permitted (stored?, internal?) load due to bending.

Is there any other use of these? do they act like a 3point bending test for material properties calculations? I have not found 2 point bend test model, so it puzzles me.

thank you again for your help,

best

alex

RSS

Translate

Search Grasshopper

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2017   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service