Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi. all. I am still relatively new to the world of Grasshopper. I have been trying to find the way to implement the fomular that you can find the book called Pasta by design, which George Legendre has recently published. I can see that there are multiple methamatic equations but I haven't got much idea how to replicate in Grasshopper. Does anyone have some idea? Please help! Thanks. 

http://www.theimport.co.uk/2010/05/the-geometry-of-pasta/
http://www.thamesandhudson.com/9780500515808.html

Views: 1737

Replies to This Discussion

It would probably be easier if you pick one example and post the equation and image or desired result. There are so many kinds of Pasta, you're question is basically like saying "how do you make a shape" or "how do you do math". So my answer is "It depends".

Michale, I do understand that my question is too general. Please find the attached file that shows equation for this particular pasta shape. I have been thinking of replicating this shape, using the same formulation written here. I am a bit struggling to know where to start from. Can anyone help?  Thanks in advance.

PS: I don't know if I can upload this page or not. If there is any problem, I will delete it immediately.

The equation seems to be the equation for the cross section on the lower right of the left page. From there its an extrusion or sweep of the section curve. All the functions in the equations already exist as grasshopper components.

(I'm replying to a thread from 2011... in 2016... but whatever!)

I've been playing with this myself. I was able to get it to work easily using the Math Plug-In from Jess Maertterer - @jess. You can enter the equations and limits directly from the book into the plug-ins interface and it outputs the surface. Just make sure the U and V counts are high enough - otherwise you'll get a very flat piece of 3D pasta. You can get the math plug-in here

I wish there was a Grasshopper version of it - it's actually very cool. 

Mark

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service