Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

one more push before the thesis ! (i'm a shigheru ban wannabe)

Hi all !

my thesis deadline is in about 12 days (and counting) and i need to finish this structural system for the roof.
what i want to do is replicate shigheru ban's system that he used for the metz pompidou project and the zabgreb airport proposal.
actually these are 2 slighly different versions.

the metz project has bulky woven poles while the airport project has skinny non-woven poles.

metz:

the airport version:

my current situation:

for now i have the poles as separate surfaces from the roof. they do follow each other smoothly but they are separate objects (and i don't know how to merge them, since brep union doesn't seem to  work).

i also have the beam grid applied to the roof surface:

i need to make the beams follow the "poles". either of the two versions depicted above would be fine, whichever is quickest to do...

my definition currently has the hex grid in uv space, but i also have a version where the grid is in xy space and projected vertically onto the surface.

ban's project has the grid in xy space and projected onto the wavy surface, BUT it has local deformations of the grid around the poles:

in my version the poles are also slanted which probably isn't helping doing this easy..

i also centered the meeting point of the pole axis on centers of hexagons, to get some sort of radial symmetry for the upcoming grid morph.

anyway, i really hope i can find some help around here, lend me your thoughts....

thanks for the interest

Views: 14167

Replies to This Discussion

Good work! Thanks for sharing...
cool for the process of exploration. I am making a thing similar to what you've down, I really need the definition for my design now and clarify the whole modeling process, could you send it to me? , my e-mail address:scmast312@gmail.com, Many thanks!
I recommend doing your own work...
i think he was talking to "tensional calculous", not to me..
this is really a beautiful project youve done here. what school are you in? also what is your render engine?
thank you very much, i was in Ion Mincu, Bucharest, but i learned grasshopper on my own, the school had nothing to do with it (other then giving me a shitty grade for it...)

here are some final renders http://www.grasshopper3d.com/photo/albums/thesis-project-2

the render engine on the pics is none, it's just screen shots of the viewports in shaded mode
so did you just render in rhino? surely you exported to max or maxwell?
the final renders are in max done (btw, major p.i.t.a. to import a rhino file in max), and the environment is done in photoshop
yeah it is haha.. i spent countless hours struggling with that last semester. i really love good renderings, maybe its just that i never have time at the end, or rather never stop fixing things in time to make renderings. actually melted my MB last semester trying to. any way again props on the good work
cheers!

Very nice..Could you share the definition..?I needed to built a coverage like this but i've had some problems with the surfaces.. I've downloaded this definition but it doesn't work with my surface..

Help please....

hi!

sorry to reply so late..

what exactly are you looking for? surfaces or beams (curves)?

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service