Grasshopper

algorithmic modeling for Rhino

Hi Everybody, i do my final exam for my study and have a tricky project.

My Rooftoop look like this. At the corner stright and in the middel "soft".

It should look like this from Point.One BMW Solarstation:

I test it with Grasshopper, because i only use rhino everytime for 3d moddeling, but I dont can fix it.

Had anyone a tip for my which codes i need. I would be thankfull for helping my :S

Views: 896

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Just create volumes first and do the divisions into waffle structures later? Here is that strategy via the Bowerbird plugin:

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/group/bowerbird

The task then becomes, after you extrude a curvy surface (or pair of them) into a solid slab, to simply define cutting planes through it and Bowerbird will then create orthoslotted surface strips you can thicken into solid flexible objects, and it can for convenience also optionally flatten the strips as onto the construction plane.

I had a silly blind spot, before, so I'm glad you posted: "waffle" strips can be flexible! I haven't tested Bowerbird on that yet, nor if they can then really be flattened accurately or at all by it. So to make interior design frameworks worth surfacing with fiberglass fabric to epoxy solidify, I wouldn't use wood at all, but flexible vinyl or Sintra etc. and not have to worry so much about straight lines in a real waffle pattern. I'm delighted at the idea now. Maybe I just never noticed if this was common now coming out of architorture schools.

There's a big problem though that Bowerbird won't solve, in that it has fixed slot widths that only work for orthogonal strips, whereas your example model has the strips passing at other angles, so the slots would have to be wider to avoid odd fighting distortions.

I'm blissfully WRONG, since on testing, Bowerbird does widen the slots for exactly this case of angled strips!

Alas, the BBSection component in fact lacks the optional feature to flatten the curves that define the planes onto the construction plane, but since they are strips, they may flatten fine with Rhino's UnrollSrf command?

Using curving "planes" isn't possible though! Damn. My solution will not work.

If I use a polyline to define a series of little planes, it treats each segment as a full plane cutting entirely through the slab out to its edge:

Too bad Bowerbird is not sophisticated enough for this by accepting cutting surfaces instead of just flat planes however angled. I guess it will take lots of Grasshopper work after all. At least I defined the problem better.

One should build a compact machine that takes spools of flexible strips and notches them and cuts the ends, to build such structures to be strongly fiberglassed.

Attachments:

Thanks for the comment. Bowerbird is really helpfull for this work. ya it's true, mostly we need wood but i also think about using something like vinyl or fiberglass. Its better for this form / concept. I understand the problems with cutting the plan but hope i can fix it with your tip. Thanks :)

RSS

About

Translate

Search

Photos

• Add Photos

Videos

• Add Videos

© 2024   Created by Scott Davidson.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service